Monday, October 11, 2010

My Home Away From Home

As I step through the large, overwhelming gate, it hits me. The smell of beer residue and over-priced hotdogs fills the air. I am home. The players get loose, while the thousands of faithful fans take their seats. The excitement is building up. With my glove in hand, I hear the umpire speak the god like words, “play ball”. Everyone that has been there has a special story to own for the rest of their lives.
This magical place is Camden Yards, the home of the Orioles. It is important to me because of the rich culture that the orioles share with all Marylanders. I saw my first baseball game around the age of 4. From then on I have always wanted to be a professional baseball player. I am still pursuing that dream here at UMBC. I know other people can relate to this because the atmosphere at Camden Yards is something that is unexplainable unless you try it for yourself. The impact the stadium has on us spreads across all areas not just those around Baltimore. The food served there, the autographs, and the drunken fans is something that cannot be found anywhere else in Maryland. Nobody has left an Orioles game disappointed. Well, except for the past few years unfortunately. If you haven’t been there, I recommend making it out to a game. This game and place is what made me who I am. It gave me my identity.
words: 250

No comments:

Post a Comment